This is an archived project page.

GREENCYCLES Biogeochemistry and Climate Change Research and Training Network

 
 

Second GREENCYCLES MC-RTN Network Meeting Agenda

15th - 18th February, 2006
Lisbon, Portugal

Host: José M.C. Pereira, DEF, Instituto Superior de Agronomia, Tapada da Ajuda 1349-017, Lisboa

Meeting Venue: Vila Galé – Hotel Opera (see below)

Wednesday, February 15th
 

09.00 - 09.15
09.15 - 10.00
10.00 - 10.15
   
Welcome and logistics(José/Andrew)
GREENCYCLES MC-RTN: background and status (Andrew)
Recruitment update (Sandy)
 
   
  Presentation of researcher's projects and CDPs, plus discussions
  [General outline (mins):
 

ER

5

ESR

2

Introduction

      (to include country of origin, town,
previous experience/lab/work (if any),
how heard of network, etc.)
         

Science content of project

20

10
(wide and narrow picture, current lab,collaborations)

CDP
(overview and timetable)

2

3

Discussion
(for everyone)

8

5


Total


35

20]



Science Objective 1: Quantify feedbacks in the global carbon cycle
 

10.15-10.50



Break (20 mins)

11.10-11.45


11.45-12.05



12.05-12.15



12.15-12.35



Lunch: 2 hr


14.35-14.55


14.55-15.15

ER1





ER4


ESRI



ER3



ESRIV






ESRVI


ESRVIII

 

Sönke Zaehle (CEA) :
Terrestrial ecosystems process modelling and global feedbacks



Nicolas Stephens (MPI-BGC) :
Ocean biology and C fluxes


Raquel García González (CEA) :
Ecosystem processes in Mediterranean and mountain zones

Alberte Bondeau will report on this position (PIK) :
Terrestrial carbon/climate coupling hot spots


Maciek Telszewski (UEA) :
Ocean-atmosphere CO2 flux observations





Valentina Sicardi (MPI-BGC) :
Global atmospheric CO2 RS data assimilation system


Trevor Keenan (CREAF) :
Ecsosystem physiology and C/water dynamics




Science Objective 2: Determine the effects of changing land use on climate
 
15.15-15.35


Break (20 mins)
ESRIII
 

Marlies Gumpenberger (PIK) :
Land use and cover change




Science Objective 3: Improve understanding of natural sources of CH4 and their responses to human activities
15.55-16.15


16.15-16.35


16.35-16.55
ESRX


ESRXI


ESRXII
 

Marcin Jackowicz-Korczynski (ULUND) :
Methane processes and controls


Roxana Petrescu (VUA) :
Hydrology and scaling


Anna Lourantou (CNRS) :
Global constraints from ice cores

 



Science Objective 4: Quantify impacts of climate change and climate variability on fire-induced emissions of greenhouse gases

16.55-17.30


17.30-17.50

ER2


ESRIX
 

Allan Spessa (MetO) :
Land use and fire : global budgtst of GHGs


Yannick Le Page (ISA) :
Fire observations and prediction

 
Summing up and Close



Thursday, February 16th
Presentation of researcher's projects and CDPs, plus discussions, continued...

Science Objective 5: Quantify impacts of climate change on terrestrial and oceanic biogenic emissions of aerosols and chemically active gases, and their effects on tropospheric chemistry
08.30-08.40



08.40-09.00
ESRII



ESRV
 

Stephen Sitch will report on this position (MetO) : Climate forcing by BVOCs and assessing the global CH4 budget

Meike Vogt (UEA) :
Ocean C-cycle and DMS

 


Science Objective 6: Quantify impacts of vegetation and climate changes on atmospheric dust and its feedbacks on CO2 and climate
09.00-09.10


09.10-09.30
ER5


ESRVII
 

Sandy Harrison will report on this position (UBRIS) :
Climate forcing by dust and CH4

Sarah Shannon (UBRIS) :
Global dust processes and consequences



Discussions around thematic issues:
09:30-10:30

Break (20 mins)

10:50-11:50

11.50-12.50

Lunch: 2 hr

14.50-15.50




Break (20 mins)

16.10-17.10




17.10-18.10

 

Marine carbon cycle research (Dorothee to lead discussion)



Terrestrial carbon cycle research (Han to lead discussion)

Methane (Torben to lead discussion)



Fire (José to lead discussion)
• report from GREENCYCLES Fire workshop (Kirsten)
• update on modelling efforts and plans and links to data
• discussion of key issues needing fresh approaches/ideas



Remote Sensing (José/Eric to lead discussion)
• current products in use, utility and science
• Alcatel products and plans
• Secondments to Alcatel - theory and practice

Dust (Sandy to lead discussion)

 

  Close



Friday, February 17th
08.30-09.30




09.30-10.30







10.30-11.00








Break (20 mins)

11.20-11.50




11.50-12.20








12.20-12.50




Lunch: 2 hr

14.50-15.20



15.20-15.50









Break (20 mins)

16.10-16.40


16.40-17.10


17.10-18.10




18.10-18.30
 

Coupled models (Pierre to lead discussion)
• Status of coupled model developments/simulations: MetO (Stephen) and CEA/IPSL (Pierre) and links to GREENCYCLES; coupled carbon/climate simulations


(GREENCYCLES is a) Joint International Research Project! (Andrew/Colin to lead discussion)
• Discussions around cross-cutting scientific themes, including potential for further collaboration and overcoming institutional and disciplinary boundaries
• Gains from collaboration between disciplines: network effect
• Ideas for new joint studies/syntheses/publications

Training
• Reports from summer schools
• Discussion of training issues/mentoring etc.
• Nodal possibilities available to network
• Lectures at upcoming summer schools, including the joint QUEST ES4 / GREENCYCLES summer school, September of 2006
• Transfer of Knowledge - theory and practice
• Secondments (only in network? - change in handbook)



Budget
• UK tuition (these need to paid while maintaining the objectives of categories E and F of the budget)
• other (cost categories, status)...

Reporting
• 2006 : Anne would like to be made aware of any Greencyclish activities –conference attendance and/or presentations, collaboration, teaching and or attendance at summer schools. If each Network member were to keep an on-going record of this it would facilitate the year-end reporting in December of 2006
• other...

Management
• secondments – how far in advance do various administrations need in order to accommodate ESRs and ERs on secondment?
• other (Anne/UBRIS)...



Hiring (RB only)
• report from RB Chair(Sandy) on hiring – ESR VI will start in March 2006

Communication and outreach
• Web page (what would you like to see on the web page in general and how do you see yourselves using it? what should be made available on the intranet )
• press releases
• outside meetings (2006 meetings that would be important for Greencycles to have a presence at)
• opportunities for ESRs and ERs to get involved with GREENCYCLES communications



Future GREENCYCLES meetings/workshops

• review meeting; model-data synthesis; NMC, Barcelona, 2007

Links to other projects
• IGBP, IPCC, Carboeurope, Carboocean, etc.

Breakouts
• ESRs with ER mentors
• group discussions (model/data synthesis, carbon/climate feedbacks, joint GREENCYCLES publications)

Reporting back to plenary, summing up, and Close of meeting





Saturday, February 18th

A field trip to Arrábida Natural Park - about 30-40 min south of Lisbon will take place. This is a coastal park, a Mediterranean-type shrubland on limestone rock. It has interesting natural and cultural features and it's a beautiful area.

The Park has an area of about 12000 ha and it had a 1000 ha fire in 2004 and a 200 ha fire in 1990 or 1991. We have both fires mapped from Landsat imagery, as well as the satellite images themselves, which I'll print out and bring along. The vegetation on the early 90s fire has regenerated to the extent it's now hard to identify the area burned. Regrowth also looks quite good in the area of the 2004
fire, although last year we had a very severe drought that affected most of the country. It's a good opportunity to talk about the relationships between fires and the C cycle, etc.

It is a very prototypical Med-type shrubland, from the floristic and ecological standpoints. The area supported sheep and goat herds until a few decades ago, and one of the best kinds of cheese available in Portugal is still produced in the area. There is a 16th century monastery, now used as a small conference centre, as well as a small natural history museum, which we may be able to visit.

-José Pereira (ISA)





Accommodation

All visitors will be staying at the following address:

Vila Galé – Hotel Opera
Travessa do Conde da Ponte, 1300 - 141 Lisboa

Tel.: +351 21 360 54 00
Fax: +351 21 360 54 50
E-mail: opera@vilagale.pt
http://www.vilagale.pt/hoteis/opera/localizacao.php?hotel=15&


Participants

1. CEA Andrew Friend, Sönke Zaehle, Raquel García González, Pierre Friedlingstein
2. MetO Allan Spessa, Stephen Sitch, Sergey Venevsky
3. PIK Alberte Bondeau, Marlies Gumpenberger
4. UEA Dorothee Bakker, Meike Vogt, Maciek Telszewski
5. MPI-BGC Nicolas Stephens, Valentina Sicardi, Corinne Le Quéré (via webcam)
6. UBRIS Sandy Harrison, Sarah Shannon, Colin Prentice (part?), Kirsten Thonicke
8. CREAF Trevor Keenan, Josep Maria Espelta, Santi Sabaté (for part of the meeting)
8. ISA José Pereira, Yannick Le Page
9. ULUND Torben Christensen, Marcin Jackowicz-Korszynski
10. VUA Han Dolman, Roxana Petrescu
11. CNRS Anna Lourantou
13. ASP Stephane/Eric?

ERs: 3; ESRs: 11; SSs: 16; total: 30